Welcome to the new ConsumersEnergy.com

Emergency

Downed Power Line?
Call 9-1-1 and 800-477-5050

If you see a downed power line:

  • DO NOT get close to it. Stay at least 25 feet away
  • DO NOT touch anything it’s in contact with
  • Always assume it’s dangerous. Assume overhead power lines are also dangerous

Summer Power Outage:

  • Call 800-477-5050 to alert us to any life support equipment in the home
  • Keep refrigerators and freezers closed to keep food fresh (food is still safe to consume when the power is out less than 4 hours)
  • Turn off your air conditioner
  • Open windows for natural ventilation
  • Drink bottled water to stay cool and hydrated

Prepared for an emergency?

Supplies to keep on hand:

  • Flashlights
  • Candles
  • Battery-operated or crank radio
  • First Aid kit
  • Bottled water
  • Non-perishable snacks or foods
  • Generator fuel

Smell Natural Gas?
Call 9-1-1 and 800-477-5050

If you smell natural gas (a rotten egg or sulfur odor) or suspect a leak:

  • DO NOT try to locate the source of the leak
  • DO NOT use a light or electric device
  • DO NOT use a lighter or light a match
  • Notify the neighbors if possible

Winter Power Outage:

  • Call 800-477-5050 to alert us to any life support equipment in the home
  • Dress warmly or use blankets
  • Leave a trickle of water on to prevent pipes from freezing
  • Stay in a room with a fireplace or woodstove
  • Ventilate the home if using a kerosene heater
  • Avoid potential carbon monoxide poisoning
  • Never use a charcoal grill, camp stove, propane or natural gas as an inside heat source
  • Never operate a generator inside a home or garage

Safe Generator Operation:

  • Follow instructions to avoid accidental carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning
  • Never operate inside a home or garage
  • Make sure generator is properly grounded
  • Never connect to home wiring or electrical outlets
  • DO NOT overload generator
  • DO NOT store generator fuel indoors