Welcome to the new ConsumersEnergy.com

Safety

Downed Power Line

Stay away and call us immediately.

Call 9-1-1 and 800-477-5050

Dig Safely

Before you dig, give MISS DIG811 a call.

Call 8-1-1

Smell Natural Gas?

Get to safety and call us immediately.

Call 9-1-1 and 800-477-5050

General Emergencies

24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Call 9-1-1 and 800-477-5050

Natural Gas Safety

If you smell natural gas (a rotten egg odor) or suspect a leak, remember:
  • Leave the area immediately
  • Don't try to locate the source of the leak
  • Don't use an electric device
Call 9-1-1 and 800-477-5050

Electric Safety

If you see a downed power line:
  • Stay at least 25 feet away
  • Don't touch anything it's in contact with
  • Always assume power lines on the ground or overhead are energized and dangerous
Call 9-1-1 and 800-477-5050

Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  1. Install a CO alarm.
  2. Never use a generator in your home or business.
  3. Inspect your furnace annually. Change air filters at least every other month.
  4. Make sure your chimney and vent pipes are free of obstructions.
  5. Never use gas stoves or charcoal grills to heat homes.

CO Facts and Safety Tips
Carbon Monoxide, The Invisible Killer

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that can be deadly. The best way to protect your family is to place a carbon monoxide detector in every room where people sleep.

IMPORTANT: If the CO detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 9-1-1. Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.

Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning During a Power Outage

  • Don't use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, garage or near a window.
  • Don't burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.
  • Don't heat your home with a gas oven, or charcoal grill.

If you suspect CO poisoning and you or anyone in your family are experiencing dizziness, nausea, lightheadedness, vomiting, headache and confusion, you should immediately:

  • Get everyone, including pets, out of the house and into the fresh air.
  • Call 9-1-1 for immediate medical help.
  • Do not re-enter the house under any circumstance until help has arrived, your house has been investigated and the problem corrected.
  • Call a qualified contractor or your gas utility to have your appliances checked.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • Place a CO detector in any room where people sleep.
  • Check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.
  • Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, wood, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Don't run a car, truck, or electric generator inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.

Safety Programs for Kids and Teachers

We offer online and in-class programs for K-6 kids that are fun and educational.

Learn More

Work Safe

Check out some valuable safety tips and free resources for working around electric or natural gas lines.

Learn More

First Responder Training

We train emergency officials to respond safely to utility-related emergencies.

Learn More
Carbon Monoxide Dangers

It’s odorless, colorless, and tasteless and can be deadly. Find out how to keep your family safe.

Learn More
Be Prepared for an Emergency

These simple steps will prepare you for the unexpected.

Learn More
Energy Theft

Energy theft is dangerous and we all pay for it in the end.

Learn More
Report Identity Theft

If you suspect someone has used your identity for utility services, let us know right away.

Learn More